FAQ: Why aren't my model configurations in my dbt_project.yml file working?

One of the most common pitfalls for new dbt users is configuring models (or seeds) correctly in the dbt_project.yml file (see documentation).

To apply configurations to models within your project, you need to nest configurations under the project name, and then use the directory path to apply fine-grained configurations.

For example, consider a project, called jaffle_shop with the following structure:

├── dbt_project.yml
└── models
    ├── base
    │   ├── base_customers.sql
    │   ├── base_orders.sql
    │   └── base_payments.sql
    ├── customers.sql
    └── orders.sql

The following configuration is valid:

name: jaffle_shop

models:
  jaffle_shop: # Note this matches the `name` above
    base:
      materialized: view
      base_customers:
        materialized: table
    customers:

The most common mistake people make is to omit the package name, like so:

name: jaffle_shop

models:
  # MISSING PROJECT NAME, DON'T DO THIS!
  # None of the following configurations will be applied
  base:
    base_customers:
  customers:

Note, you can also apply configurations to all models (including those in other packages), by nesting it under models, like so:

models:

Why doesn’t dbt just use the directory structure?
While the required structure is unintuitive and can lead to errors, it exists for a good reason (promise!).

Nesting configurations under the project name enables dbt users who are using packages within their project to configure those packages from a single yml file. For example, if an organization is using the Snowplow package, they would be able to configure how dbt builds the Snowplow package within the dbt_project.yml file of their own project, allowing greater flexibility.

Since it is confusing, as of v0.12.0, dbt will warn you during compilation when there are configurations in your dbt_project.yml file that do not apply to a model or seed.

@claire since dbt is using (i’m guessing) the free version of slack, you may want to screenshot the questions and some of the answers because after a certain number of messages, those questions will disappear.