Snapshots are not being built in a CI schema during SlimCI -- PRODUCTION affected during CI run!

Hurrah! So let me repeat this back and check I’ve got it (I’ve turned this into a Wiki post, so you can edit it directly if I’ve got anything wrong, then I’ll mark it as the solution and use it as the bones of a GH issue)

• By default, dbt snapshots build into a hardcoded schema. Making the schema dynamic means that every snapshot is considered state:modified on every CI run because in-file environmentally-aware configs trigger false positives and target_schema can’t be defined in dbt_project.yml.
  • You can make a zero-copy clone of the snapshot to a different database at the start of a CI run. target_database can be defined using env_var jinja in the snapshots section of dbt_project.yml which means other unchanged snapshots don’t get picked up as modified unnecessarily.
  • Cloning to a different database as described in the second bullet and then setting the snapshot database environment variable in your SlimCI job enables snapshots to be Slim CI’d. If you can’t do that, you’d need to exclude them from the CI job definition. That is tricky in dbt build context because the dbt build --resource-type filter seems to only takes a single resource type anyway, and it’s not able to be used for exclusion)