Using dbt to manage user defined functions (Redshift)

Our dbt project uses some user defined functions (UDFs).
In the past, I’ve created these UDFs in my SQL console as the superuser, however this isn’t ideal as:

• The code was not surfaced as part of our dbt project, so it’s unclear what the UDF does
  • There was no version control on the UDFs if we needed to update them
  • And we weren’t maintaining separate development/production versions of the UDFs .

So I decided to put them into our dbt project, using this process:

1. Created a subdirectory, just to keep things tidy: macros/udfs/
  2. Created a file for each udf, e.g. macros/udfs/f_future_date.sql (below). Note that each of my UDFs is prefixed with f_, as recommended in the Redshift documentation.
{% macro f_future_date() %}
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION {{target.schema}}.f_future_date()
RETURNS TIMESTAMP
IMMUTABLE AS $$
SELECT '2100-01-01'::TIMESTAMP;
$$ LANGUAGE sql
{% endmacro %}
  1. Created a macro called macros/create_udfs.sql which calls each UDF macro. Note separation with ;s. Also, note the inclusion of a create schema statement – since the target schema is created after on-run-start hooks, and I’ve used the target schema in my UDFs, I have to create that schema if it doesn’t exist.
{% macro create_udfs() %}

create schema if not exists {{target.schema}};

{{f_list_custom_keys()}};

{{f_count_custom_keys()}};

{{f_future_date()}}

{% endmacro %}
  1. Added an on-run-start hook to my project
on-run-start:
    - '{{create_udfs()}}'
  1. Updated the references to UDFs in my models to use the schema-versions, e.g.
SELECT
{{target.schema}}.F_FUTURE_DATE()

Other quirks I ran into when doing this were:

1. As the superuser, I had to grant permission to users to create python udfs:
-- as your superuser
GRANT USAGE ON LANGUAGE PLPYTHONU TO userA;
  1. I had to use schemas because users cannot edit each others’ UDFs (i.e. if userA creates the UDF, and userB runs the CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION statement, a “must be owner of function” error will occur). Using schemas means you are creating distinct UDFs* so won’t hit this issue. I would recommend using schemas anyway to maintain separate dev/production UDFs

* Assuming each Redshift user profile used by dbt has a distinct target schema.

How to Create a Series of Python UDFs for Parsing User Agents in Redshift

I like it! I think I’ll break up my GA post-processing code (which includes a BigQuery javascript UDF) to move the UDFs out like this to keep things appropriately modular.

@claire So, I think this might be a stupid question, but why use UDFs instead of macros within dbt?

Not a stupid question at all!
I use UDFs when I need to use python to solve a problem that SQL (or Jinja) can’t.
For example, one of our data sources has values stored in JSON keys (🤦), like so:

json
{“known_key”: true, “custom text”: true, “more custom text”: true}
{“known_key”: true, “even more custom text”: true}

I instead wanted my data like so:

custom_keys
[“custom text”, “more custom text”]
[“even more custom text”]

I can’t think of how Redshift SQL or Jinja would be able to do the above.
But it’s an easy problem to solve using the json python package, so I wrapped it up in a UDF.

@claire Thanks so much for this post! Great tutorial. Depending on your Redshift config, you may also have to grant permissions to execute the functions you create. I do this with a macro in the post-hook:

{% for u in user_list %}
  {% for s in schema_list %}
    grant execute on all functions in schema {{ s }} to {{ u }} ;
  {% endfor %}
{% endfor %}

@claire Are you recreating your production schema every time? If not, I can see 2 issues with this approach.

1. If you change the number of arguments your UDF receives, you will end up with 2 functions with the same name but different arguments (redshift supports method overloading). Not sure this is always the wanted result.
  2. If you change the returned type, I believe you will get an error when running the script.

Regards,
Zeev

Hey @zeevs
Yup, you’re totally right! A significant change in the function is going to break the macro.

I think I played around with including a DROP FUNCTION statement in my macro, but if the arguments change, then the statement would return an error (since you’d be trying to DROP a function with different arguments to the one that currently exists).

So I chose that in that case I’d handle it manually. Not perfect, but also not a common scenario thankfully :slight_smile:

I think best practice here is to drop your production schema regularly, but that’s not something that I’ve implemented

I guess you could get the definition of all existing udfs from redshift’s internal tables and drop all existing udfs, and then run clean create statements for what you need.