Welcome to dbt discourse!
dbt discourse is a place for dbt users to ask questions, and share advice, not only about dbt, but about the wider data stack.
If you’re new to dbt, we recommend you:
Where possible, we’ve sorted posts into a few different categories. Feel free to browse them, or, if you’re creating a new post, add it to one of the categories!
Modeling: Anything related to the code written in the
models/part of a dbt project, from SQL magic, to breaking up models, to naming fields.
- Macros and UDFs: Different jinja macros and UDFs that dbt users have used in their projects.
- Materializations: Posts related to different materialization strategies used in dbt.
- Testing: Posts related to testing dbt projects.
- Deployment: Posts about how to deploy your dbt project (or docs!), including gitflow and testing environments.
- Releases: Release notes for dbt.
Wider data ecosystem:
- Data Stacks: Posts about the different tools that exist in a modern BI infrastructure, for example, data loaders, BI tools and warehouses.
- Database Administration: Posts about best practices for database administration, for example, setting up users, permissions, and tuning performance. These posts may not directly relate to code within a dbt project (though often dbt can help you out!).
- Workflows: How data teams get work done.
- Water Cooler: Anything else!
These categories will likely change over time, feel free to shoot @claire a message on Slack if you have any feedback!