DBT BigQuery table creation code generation issue

Hi experts,

I have been using dbt for BigQuery table creation and transformation but it has been constantly giving me query errors that it generates.

Here is what the model looks like, this is to imitate BQ’s WRITE_TRUNCATE on partition column submit_date.

{{
    config(
        materialized='incremental',
        incremental_strategy='insert_overwrite',
        on_schema_change='sync_all_columns',
        partition_by = {
            'field': 'submit_date',
            'data_type': 'date',
            'granularity': 'day'
        },
        require_partition_filter = true,
        database='db',
        schema='dataset',
        alias='my_table_forge'
    )
}}
-- An ordinary SELECT

dbt then somehow generates two queries, one is to create a temp table and the other is to create the real table. The first query fires off perfectly fine with no error, but what is really weird is the second query:

create or replace table `db`.`dataset`.`my_table_forge`
partition by submit_date

OPTIONS(
require_partition_filter=True
)
as (

select col1, col2, col3...
from `db`.`dataset`.`my_table_forge`);

This hits an error:

Cannot query over table 'db.dataset.my_table_forge' without a filter over column(s) 'submit_date' that can be used for partition elimination

Why would dbt use the table to create itself? Shouldn’t it query from the temp table and dump data into the real table? And even if it makes sense, somehow, it is ignoring the partition_field submit_date.

Any idea how to fix it?

This seems a bug from dbt 1.4, which version are you using?

It is already fixed from what I know.

You can try upgrading your dbt-bigquery to dbt-bigquery==1.4.3 or downgrading to dbt-bigquery==1.3.2

1 Like

Thanks @brunoszdl for the quick reply. I’ll speak to the team and get back to you.

@brunoszdl We are using dbt-bigquery 1.3.0, do you think it could be another issue?

Hmmm that’s weird.

It seems pretty much this issue here:

That was corrected here:

Can you just make a quick test and try to run your model using dbt-bigquery==1.4.2 or dbt-bigquery==1.4.3?

If it does not work I am not sure what the problem is, but you can try to use a solution a community member (@johanndw) has come up with.

I will paste his message here:

"Related note, BQ does not perform partition elimination when using a subquery in the where clause. We use a macro to derive the highwater mark and pass that to the where clause as a literal value. This will probably also have solved your issue which requires a literal value, bonus is that BQ can perform partition elimination as well

{% macro get_incremental_filter(model, column, filter) %}

{% set max_query %}
    select coalesce(max(timestamp( {{column}} )), timestamp('1900-01-01')) as max_timevalue 
    from {{ model }}
    {% if filter is defined %}
        where {{ filter }}
    {% endif %}
{% endset %}

{% set max_query_results = run_query(max_query) %}

{% if execute %}
    {% set max_timestamp = max_query_results.rows[0].values()[0] %}
    {% if max_timestamp is none %}
        {{ exceptions.raise_compiler_error('max_timestamp returned from "get_incremental_filter" macro is None') }}
    {% endif %}
    {% set max_timestamp = max_timestamp | string %}
{% else %}
    {% set max_timestamp = '1901-01-01' %}
{% endif %}

{{ log('Incremental filter for ' ~ model ~ ' is ' ~ max_timestamp) }} {# log incremental filter #}
{{ return( "'" ~ max_timestamp ~ "'") }}

{% endmacro %}

And then in the models

from 
   bills

--Prod incremental behaviour
    {% if target.name == 'prod' and is_incremental() %}      
        where bills.row_ingested_at > {{get_incremental_filter(this ,'row_ingested_at')}}
    {% endif %}

"

1 Like

And also kudos to Christophe Oudar (didn’t find his profile here) for creating the issue and the PR

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Looks like we will need to upgrade to a more recent version and see what happens. I’m currently writing a script to generate dbt config block so prefer to not use the alternative solution as it looks complicated. Have a great weekend!

When you test it, let me know if it worked! :smiley: