Error parsing project

The problem I’m having

dbt failed to parse model template. But the error message doesn’t include the model file that causes the error.

I’m using python 3.12.4, dbt 1.8.4, dbt-athena 1.8.4. I have the following package installed.

• package: dbt-labs/dbt_utils
    version: 1.1.1
  • package: dbt-labs/dbt_external_tables
    version: 0.8.7
  • package: dbt-labs/codegen
    version: 0.11.0

The context of why I’m trying to do this

My company uses dbt with dagster. It has a repo with both dagster and dbt codes. dbt codes are stored in the /dbt folder in this repo. I want to experiment the new dbt unit test feature so I cloned the project and trying to run some basic dbt command such as dbt compile. However I got this error that doesn’t have much useful information to troubleshoot.

What I’ve already tried

Don’t know how to proceed to troubleshoot this. The repo has hundreds of model files. It’s hard for me to find the files that may cause the error.

Some example code or error messages

dbt list --profiles-dir config
03:54:46  Running with dbt=1.8.4
03:54:46  Registered adapter: athena=1.8.4
03:54:46  Unable to do partial parsing because saved manifest not found. Starting full parse.
03:54:48  Encountered an error:
'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
03:54:48  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/cli/requires.py", line 138, in wrapper
    result, success = func(*args, **kwargs)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/cli/requires.py", line 101, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/cli/requires.py", line 218, in wrapper
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/cli/requires.py", line 247, in wrapper
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/cli/requires.py", line 294, in wrapper
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/cli/requires.py", line 320, in wrapper
    ctx.obj["manifest"] = parse_manifest(
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/manifest.py", line 1898, in parse_manifest
    manifest = ManifestLoader.get_full_manifest(
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/manifest.py", line 330, in get_full_manifest
    manifest = loader.load()
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/manifest.py", line 435, in load
    self.parse_project(
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/manifest.py", line 733, in parse_project
    parser.parse_file(block)
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/base.py", line 484, in parse_file
    self.parse_node(file_block)
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/base.py", line 445, in parse_node
    self.render_update(node, config)
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/models.py", line 348, in render_update
    super().render_update(node, config)
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/base.py", line 421, in render_update
    context = self.render_with_context(node, config)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/parser/base.py", line 270, in render_with_context
    get_rendered(parsed_node.raw_code, context, parsed_node, capture_macros=True)
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt/clients/jinja.py", line 146, in get_rendered
    rendered = render_template(template, ctx, node)
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt_common/clients/jinja.py", line 539, in render_template
    return template.render(ctx)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/dbt_common/clients/jinja.py", line 144, in render
    return self.environment.handle_exception()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/project/dbt/dbt-env/lib/python3.12/site-packages/jinja2/environment.py", line 939, in handle_exception
    raise rewrite_traceback_stack(source=source)
  File "<template>", line 46, in top-level template code
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

This is resolved. I need to pass in vars to the command. But hopefully the error emitted from the command can be more clear on which file to check.