Guide/Notes on moving from Postgres to Snowflake

TL;DR - get ready for any SQL business logic to fail - in looker, DBT, etc. I highly recommend doing the migration over the weekend, give yourself a full day or two of work to fix up differences.

I spent this past weekend migrating from postgres to Snowflake. Tristan has already written a post on on redshift to snowflake, but I thought I’d briefly jot down my notes if you are considering a postgres->snowflake move

• schema search path: I set the default schema in my DBT pre-run-hook, no can do in snowflake, so I used regex to append schemas to all mentioned tables (I know, I know, use sources).
  • typecasting pain: I did a lot of SUM(has_discounts) as n_discounts , and am having difficulty casting booleans to a number
  • datetime pain - I had variables like NOW() - MAX(table.created_at) AS time_since_update , and this magically showed up in Looker as “5 hours, 26 minutes…“. Snowflake, I need to DATEDIFF and have to choose to look at minutes or hours or days.
  • casing - snowflake has different casing preferences, that work very poorly with looker, which by default quotes all your column names. I removed all of the quotes in my LookML to fix this.

From Dan Hunt (DBT group)

I’ve also just done a Postgres → Snowflake migration. The main points not mentioned that come to mind are related to Snowflake regular expressions:

• Regex matching: the Postgres shorthand column ~ 'regex' becomes rlike(column, 'regex')
  • Regex captures: extracting based on a regular expression capture changes from substring(column from 'regex') to regex_substring(column, 'regex', 1, 1, 'ie') to get the first match in a string (or similar, depending on case sensitivity, capture group, etc.)
  • Regex escaping: in regex patterns, you need to double backslash to escape, so \. becomes \\. A few functions in Snowflake and not in Postgres have also been pretty helpful:
  • ifnull(a, b) : I prefer this function for readability to the Postgres equivalent, coalesce(a, b)
  • iif(condition, a, b) : perhaps not everyone agrees here, but I prefer this to a case statement with only one condition for cleaner code.
  • I haven’t used try_cast yet, but this is also missing an equivalent from Postgres and potentially a big one for cleaning up conversions near the source layer

From gitlab - https://gitlab.com/gitlab-data/analytics/issues/645

• now() was replaced with current_date
  • UDFs had to be re-written
  • date math is totally different; we can now leverage the native datediff and dateadd to see the difference between two dates or a date and some interval ( dateadd can also subtract by use of negative intervals)
  • stringagg to listagg
  • snowflake errors out on ~ , !~ , <> , etc
  • current is a protected word
4 Likes