How to create updated_at and created_at columns in incremental model?

I have an incremental model but I need a column that will track when each row was first added to the table (created_at) and a column that will track when any value from the row was last updated (updated_at). Is there a way to do this with incremental models?

If you are using the merge incremental strategy, you could use the merge_excluded_columns to leave the created_at column untouched. Something like

{{
  config(
    materialized = 'incremental',
    unique_key = 'id',
    merge_exclude_columns = ['created_at'],
  )
}}

select
    id
    , name
    , current_date() as updated_at
    , current_date() as created_at
from {{ ref('my_ref') }}
{% if is_incremental() %}
        where <some condition>
{% endif %}

@brunoszdl thanks for the answer! Won’t this make every row updated on each run, even when there is no change in any other columns?

For example, if I have a daily run that updates the model with any changes found in the last 3 days - then adding “current_date() as updated_at” would make every row the “updated” row with a new “updated_at” value, even the ones where nothing has changed.

Maybe I wasn’t specific enough in my question - the “updated_at” needs to be updated with a new value only when any other column for that row has changed during the current run.

@brunoszdl I tried to implement this in dbt Core 1.6.5 in combination with Snowflake and it seems to ignore the parameter merge_exclude_columns. I cannot get it to work. Do you have a working example and what version & DB? Thanks!

@brunoszdl Related to @Dr_Chris 's question, I would like to use an equivalent pattern with the “append” strategy. I tried specifying the merge_exclude_columns argument (and also tried append_exclude_columns), but it did not affect the executed query. Is there a way to use that?

In particular, what I would like to happen is that the incremental load uses the unique_key argument to identify matching entries, and then uses a subset of the remaining columns as value fields that determine if an entry has changed. The specific use case is that I would like to add a load_timestamp column (and possibly some other metadata) on each update, but do not want this to trigger an append for that key if the entry is otherwise identical.

We had to implement a custom materialization to do this.

In addition to merge_exclude_columns, we added diff_exclude_columns (because we never want to compare the updated_at column, for example, since it will always be different). Otherwise, all the columns between the source & target are compared by default: and only if differences are detected will the row be updated (with the new updated_at value).

@cbruun I finally solved my problem… First thing I learned is that merge_exclude_columns only acts on merge part not on the insert part. So to overcome this I use a view on the new data joining the existing data and keep certain fields as is, update others like changed timestamp and for new lines prefill certain fields e.g. created timestamp. Using a view on new and existing data might also be a solution for your requirement.

@mroy / @Dr_Chris I also needed to implement a custom incremental materialization to handle my use cases. It sounds like what I produced is similar to what @mroy created. I looked at the implementations of the current merge incremental and append incremental materializations, and they included parts that could be reused, but did not implement quite what I needed to make this work.

1 Like