How to only build models that passed tests in the previous build?

Hi everyone,

I’m trying a new approach for data quality in our warehouse where we would build models on an audit schema and then build again on a prod schema, excluding models that failed the tests during the audit build.

For the 2nd build I tried with the command
dbt build --exclude 1+result:fail as mentioned in the doc but I’m getting the following error:

Internal Error
  No comparison run_results

which I don’t really understand since I actually have a run_results.json file stored in my /target folder.

dbt build --exclude 1+result:fail --defer --state ./target seems to work but I don’t really know why and I’m not sure it does the same thing, I still have to wrap my head around the defer method.

Does someone have an idea?

Without providing the --defer flag, dbt doesn’t try to defer to an old version. Likewise, without the --state flag, it doesn’t know where to look for the comparison manifest.

Is the correct command to run to successfully use the result method in your selector

But in the docs, this is given as an example:

dbt run --select result:error --state path/to/artifacts # run all models that generated errors on the prior invocation of dbt run

Why is --defer not used here?

Oh yes you’re right! You only need to pass the --state flag. I’ve edited my post above