Issue with table writing to "models_staging" instead of "staging" schema using Unity catalog

The problem I’m having

I’m facing an issue in my dbt project where the tables defined under the staging configuration are not being written to the desired schema in the Unity catalog. Instead of being created in the staging schema, the tables are being created in the models_staging schema. This unexpected behavior is causing confusion in my project.

The context of why I’m trying to do this

In my dbt_project.yml file, I have defined the following configuration:

models:
  dbtmodels:
    base:
      materialized: view
      schema: base
    staging:
      materialized: table
      schema: staging

The intention is to write the tables defined under the staging configuration to the “staging” schema in the Unity catalog. However, despite specifying the correct schema name, the tables are still being created in the models_staging schema.

What I’ve already tried

I have carefully reviewed my dbt_project.yml configuration and ensured that the schema parameter is set to “staging” for the staging configuration. I have also referred to the relevant documentation and best practices for working with the Unity catalog in dbt, but I couldn’t find a solution to this specific issue.

The expected outcome is that the tables defined under the staging configuration should be written to the “staging” schema in the Unity catalog. However, the tables are being created in the models_staging schema instead.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Is there something I might be missing in my configuration or a different approach I should consider when working with the Unity catalog in dbt?

Thank you in advance for your help!