Post Hook conditioned on DDL changes

The problem I’m having

I have a post_hook in each of my ~1950 table models that is adding a lot of time to our overall transformation processing. However, we only NEED the post-hook if there has been a DDL change to the table the model is updating.

The context of why I’m trying to do this

We have a business requirement for legacy support. In past solutions, we used 2 paired tables (e.g. ACTIVITY and ACTIVITY_RT) where the first table held historical data and the _RT table held the last 30 days of “real-time” data. With dbt and Snowflake, we are doing away with the multi-table model, but we still need an empty *_RT table for every table so that our customers’ UNION ALL queries don’t break when we roll out our new solution. Additionally, the table and its empty _RT counterpart must have the same columns or the UNIONs will fail.

What I’ve already tried

To handle this requirement, I built a post_hook into each model as follows:

{{config(
    materialized = 'incremental',
    enabled = true,
    unique_key='unique_key',
    tags=["dbt_run:hourly"],
    cluster_by=['customer_schema'],
    post_hook='CREATE OR REPLACE TABLE SECURE.activity_RT LIKE CURATED.activity'
)
}}

To generate this, I’m using the following .py code in dbt-core:

f.write("\n")
      f.write("{{")
      f.write("config(")
      f.write("\n")
      f.write("    materialized = 'incremental',")
      f.write("\n")
      f.write("    enabled = true,")
      f.write("\n")
      f.write("    unique_key='unique_key',")
      f.write("\n")
      f.write(f'    tags=["{run_frequency}"],')
      f.write("\n")
      f.write(f"    cluster_by=['customer_schema'],")
      f.write("\n")
      f.write(f"    post_hook='CREATE OR REPLACE TABLE SECURE.{table['table_name']}_RT LIKE CURATED.{table['table_name']}'")
      f.write("\n")
      f.write(")")
      f.write("\n")
      f.write("}}")

The problem is that I only need to CREATE/REPLACE the _RT table if the DDL of its paired table has changed. Otherwise, this is just wasted resources in hour hourly transforms where we run all ~1950 models.

I have two questions:

1. How do I condition my post_hook to run ONLY IF the model has DDL changes (new column, altered column datatype, etc.)?
  2. How do I set this up as a macro instead of hard-coding into each model?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Johnny