Publish DBT docs to SharePoint?

Has anyone tried (with any success) to serve the DBT Documentation from SharePoint?

Our deployment is in Google GCP, with DBT running as a service in Kubernetes. While I could put up a Nginx container and serve from there, we have a requirement to secure the documentation. And wile GCP has plenty of options to secure a site, it seems a bit overkill for our needs. Also given that our infrastructure is cloud based, I am reluctant to standup a webserver internally. Netlify is probably a non-starter too as getting management approval would be arduous. And we do have SharePoint.

The obvious approach of creating a document library and copying in the target directory did not work. When I attempt to open the index.html file the page paints, but in the content window all I see is a loading message, which never clears.

Since I am a database guy and not a portal person, any advice would be welcome, even if it is to not try since it won’t work. That way I can look to other solutions.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey @MarkL

I’m currently looking into the same solution as you, to serve dbt docs through Sharepoint.

I have tried to host the static files through the Document Library. But I open the file in the browser I get this error:

Do you have an update on this issue? Did you manage to solve it?

I would gladly hear about it! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Sorry - but never was able to directly crack this. We just ended up putting the docs on an HTTP server, and then setup links to it from Sharepoint.

@MarkL Okay, thanks for your reply!

What did you do with authentication?

I ended up deploying it to an Azure Static webapp instead. In the DBT repository I created a file called staticwebapp.config.json and specified access rules in it etc.

In the Gitlab pipe I build the DBT Docs with “dbt docs generate” and then I deployed it in another job using an image called “image: Microsoft Artifact Registry” and executing the script “/bin/staticsites/StaticSitesClient upload --verbose true --apiToken $API_TOKEN --app $APP_PATH”.

API_TOKEN comes from Azure (only token is needed for the script to know where to put the files) and the APP_PATH is the directory contains the generated files from the build job ( index.html catalog.json manifest.json) and also staticwebapp.config.json.

Works perfect! :slight_smile: