Run query before models and use output within models

What do i want to achive?

Query existing tables to find dates (=partition) filters to be used as date (=partition) filters in dbt models. For filtering i could do joins in each and every dbt model but it turns out to execute slowly. Rather i want to find certain dates first and then substitute those dates as variables in dbt models.

How would i like to achive this?

I would like to

1. run a query before any model exectuion. The query yields a table with a single row like: date_1: 2020-01-01, date_2: 2020-03-1, date_3: 2020-09-01, date_4= 2020-12-01. Store this output into variables (best dictionary) and then
  2. select those values in a dbt model (e.g. in where date_column = '{{ fetched_dates['date_1'] }}' such that after compilation we get hardcoded values in the sql where date_column = '2020-01-01'

What i tried:

I used on_run_start in dbt_project.yml to execute a macro. The macro uses run_query to execute a sql and store its single row output with multiple columns in a dictionary via set fetched_dates = sql_result.rows[0]. This seems to work. But when i reference this variable later in a dbt model as in where date_column = '{{ fetched_dates['date_1'] }}' it complains with fetched_dates is undefined. This can happen when calling a macro that does not exist. Check for typos and /or install package dependencies with "dbt deps".

Any advice on how to proceed? Do i have to execute my date fetching query outside from dbt and then pass values to dbt as project variables? Would have much rather relied on logic within dbt itself.