Grant & revoke in Big query

Hello @joellabes

dbt core:1.2
dwh: Bigquery
Model type: Incremental

The access is not getting revoked via DBT.Below are the steps which i have followed and could see issue in the dbt.

case one:
I have applied the grants as below so that user someone can access the table.

{%if target.name ==‘dev’%}
{{ config(grants = {‘roles/bigquery.dataViewer’: [‘user:someone@yourcompany.com’]}) }}
{%endif%}

result

user (someone@yourcompany.com) is able to access the table. I can see grant statement in the log

table to check metadata of roles/principles.
.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.OBJECT_PRIVILEGES
where object_schema = “dataset_name”
and object_name = “table_name”

Case two

Now i need to revoke access to user :someone@yourcompany.com and provide access to user :sometwo@yourcompany.com. I have updated the code in model as below.

{{ config(grants = {‘roles/bigquery.dataViewer’: [‘user:sometwo@yourcompany.com’]}) }}
{%endif%}

result
after dbt run the revoke got triggered for someone@yourcompany.com and grants got triggered someone@yourcompany.com. The user:someone is unable to access the table and user:sometwo is able to access the table. I can see the revoke and grants statements in log.

use case three
I need to revoke access to the user sometwo@yourcompany.com and as per dbt documentation (Updating our permissioning guidelines: grants as configs in dbt Core v1.2 | dbt Developer Blog) I have left it blank as below in the model.

{{ config(grants = {‘roles/bigquery.dataViewer’: []}) }}
{%endif%}

Result
user sometwo@yourcompany.com is still able to access the tables. Also i can’t find revoke is getting triggered in logs.

Expectation: The dbt should trigger revoke to remove access to user:sometwo@yourcompany.com

When i ran below query(taken from log) i can’t find the same.
select privilege_type, grantee from gcp-project.region-EU.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.OBJECT_PRIVILEGES
where object_schema = “dataset_name” and object_name = “table_name”
– filter out current user
and split(grantee, ‘:’)[offset(1)] != session_user()

I have changed the query as below and i could find the entry in metadata table.

select privilege_type, grantee from gcp-project.region-EU.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.OBJECT_PRIVILEGES where object_schema = “dataset_name” and object_name = “table_name”

Reference to my previous topic for easy understanding: Using Grants in a target-specific way

Please help me on this?

Regards
Minhaj Pasha

Hi @minhajpasha, thanks for the extensive writeup!

I’m not super familiar with grants, but since you’re following the instructions described on the documentation site and the permissions aren’t being revoked as expected, I suspect you’re running into some sort of bug.

Could you instead open an issue on GitHub so the maintainers can look into this for you?

Perhaps the best practice to handle your case @minhajpasha, is to use Google Groups instead of users, granting access to your models to specific groups.
Therefore, if you need to revoke the access of someone to a model, you just remove them from the group without changing the code of your dbt project.

1 Like

@hans.lemm , Hey agree with you, we are currently using groups to provide access, but the issue persistent if you are using groups too…

Regards
Minhaj