How do I get help from people who are using Slack?

I have a question but I would also like people in the #advice-dbt-help Slack channel to see it; what should I do?

1 Like

Great question! When you make a post in the forum, it will automatically post to <#CBSQTAPLG|advice-dbt-help>. From there, anyone can reply in Slack and those replies will be shown on your original forum post.

Note: @joellabes (dbt Labs) originally posted this reply in Slack. It might not have transferred perfectly.

I silenced <#CBSQTAPLG|advice-dbt-help> a long time ago because it was too noisy. Should each discourse category have their own slack channels, where people are not permitted to post in slack?

Note: @Sterling Paramore originally posted this reply in Slack. It might not have transferred perfectly.

@gnilrets good questions! Here’s how we’re thinking about this:

• We (intentionally) only have the one overarching Help category on Discourse, to avoid people getting bogged down in “is this a deployment question or a tooling question or a getting started question?”
  • Discourse topics can be tagged, so people who have a particular interest in answering questions about #orchestration-and-deployment or #jinja or anything else can watch those tags
  • The main goal here is to minimise the behavioural change needed for folks who are already active in #advice-dbt-help - if this works, then Discourse will wind up as noisy as Slack is currently (maybe a bit less since there should be fewer duplicate questions), so I don’t know that a read/comment-only feed in Slack will solve your problem in the medium term. However watching specific tags that interest you (above) might work?

I had a question about documenting singular tests and I was searching slack for the right channel to post to. Then I figured I’d post it on discourse. When I started writing the title to my post, I got the answer from another post: https://discourse.getdbt.com/t/is-it-possible-to-add-a-description-to-singular-tests/5472

Very encouraging!

Note: @Sterling Paramore originally posted this reply in Slack. It might not have transferred perfectly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.